Friday, May 28, 2010

Rhubarb Jam

Yesterday I made some Rhubarb Berry Jam.  It was so easy and it tastes yummy.  I just sort of made up this recipe from others I have come across.  I used more rhubarb and less sugar than most of the recipes I saw.

First I cut up 16 cups of rhubarb and placed in a large bowl and then I sprinkled it with 3 cups of sugar.

I let that stand overnight and in the morning a lot of the juice had come out of the rhubarb and it looked like this.


Then I put it in a big pot on the stove and boiled for 15 minutes.


Then I added one can of wildberry pie filling and stirred that in until the pot came back to a boil.  Then I turned off the heat and stirred in three small packages of raspberry jello.

At this point I was pretty much done.  You can either put it in canning jars and process and seal or take the easy way out as I did, put in any freezer safe container, cool, and then store in the fridge or freezer.  As you can see I just used some old jam and condiment jars I had lying around.  I didn't fill them really full, leaving room for it to expand in the freezer.



Mmmm, yummy homemade rhubarb jam on homemade bread.  It doesn't get much better than this.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. I love rhubarb jam - especially on big pancakes. I just wish the rhubarb plant in my backyard would get busy producing rhubarb. :)

    ReplyDelete