Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Starting Seeds

Today I started some tomato seeds.  Every year I plant a bit of a garden.  My ambition is always higher in the spring and I plant a bunch of stuff.  Then summer comes and I would rather spend my time at the pool than weeding the garden.  Last summer the weeds took over my garden and most of what did grow was eaten by grasshoppers.  However, I did have lot's of tomatoes, corn, and some peas.  So it was still worth it.  Hopefully I  will do a little better at keeping it weeded this year.  Tomatoes are one of my favorite things to grow as they are fairly simple to grow and a homegrown tomato tastes so much better than a store bought one.  There is just no comparison.  In Saskatchewn you have to start your tomato seeds indoors because of the short growing season.  It is easy to do and saves me some money since I don't have to buy them as bedding plants.  I don't start many seeds indoors because you do have to have some space with good light to grow them but having tomatoes in the garden is a must.  I planted early girl and centenial rocket which are both bred to be early (which again is good in Saskatchewan's short growing season) and also some cherry tomatoes which are great to snack on.

When the girls came home from school we planted some flower and herbs in clay pots we had decorated.  This was a great activity to do with them.  Kids love planting things and watching them grow.  I hope to have them grow their own little garden this summer.  So we will see how that goes.  I am also thinking of having them make their own garden journal.  I got this idea from Frugal Family Fun (which is great blog by the way and has great kids activities.)  I think I may just use a notebook instead of a binder but cutting the pictures out from the seed catalog is a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment