Friday, April 16, 2010

Golden Potato Rolls

Yesterday I made some potato rolls for supper.  These rolls are moist and delicious and a great way to use up some leftover potatoes.  They also freeze well and I like to have some on hand in the freezer ready to pop in the microwave, to add to any meal.  I got this recipe from my Aunt and she has been making them for years.

I will often use 2-4 cup whole wheat flour in this recipe and it turns out fine.  Also I generally throw whatever leftover potatoes I have in without measuring so this recipe is pretty forgiving.  The only time I have had this recipe fail me is when I killed the yeast by adding it to quickly to the hot potato mixture (it should be warm not hot). 

Golden Potato Rolls (3 dozen)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup margarine
8-8 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/4 cups (approx) leftover mashed potatoes
2 eggs beaten.

Method: Dissolve yeast in water, set aside.  In a saucepan, combine milk, shortening and potatoes:  cook and stir over low heat just until shortening is melted.  Remove from heat and place in large bowl with sugar, salt, 2 cups of the flour and then add the yeast mixture.  Add the eggs and mix well.  Cover loosely and allow to stand for two hours (the dough will be like a sponge.

Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.  Knead.  Let rise until double.  Punch down.  Divide into thirds.  Roll into a circle.  Cut into 12 pie shaped wedges.
Roll up from the wide end.  Place on greased sheets. 
Let rise for 30 min or so. Bake at 400*F for 15 minutes.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, do those look yummy! My kids would love those. I nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger Award so stop by my site if you get a second and check it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Holly! I appreciate this as I am so new to blogging.

    ReplyDelete