Monday, September 20, 2010

Freezing Corn



Well I have been busy the last little while trying to preserve some of the stuff from the garden.  I have shredded and frozen zucchini, made applesauce and chopped apples to freeze, picked tomatoes and put them in the basement (still have to can some of them), and I froze some corn.  Now I had never attempted to freeze corn before as we usually eat most of it fresh and the idea of cutting all the corn off the ears seemed like a lot of work.  However after reading this post at Heavenly Homemakers and checking out this post at Amy's Finer Things I decided to give it a try.

One of the things that made this easier was using an electric knife.  Now I have an electric knife but rarely use it except to cut fresh bread (it cuts fresh bread really nice without squishing the loaf) so I wouldn't have thought to use it if Amy hadn't mentioned it.  It made cutting the corn off the cob really simple and it didn't take any effort at all.  I also used a bundt cake pan and held the corn cob on the part that makes the hole in the cake and then when I cut off the corn it all fell into the cake pan.

So the process was pretty simple.  I picked and shucked the corn.  Then I placed the ears of corn a few at time into a pot of boiling water for three minutes.  Once the three minutes was up I transferred them to a sink full of ice water to stop the cooking process.  I then cut the corn off the cob and packed it into ziploc bags and froze them. Mmmm, now we will be able to enjoy home grown corn for a while to come.


Now if you are wondering how I did this all with a 7 month old baby, I will share (because when I read other blogs I always wonder how they manage to do all they do with young children).  While I was picking and shucking the corn I had LK in the backpack (which I mention in this post).  Then I brought him into the kitchen and gave him a pot and a wooden spoon to play with, which kept him busy for a while.  I had to pause the process partway through to nurse him and then I put him down for a nap.   That meant I could finish up in peace. 



2 comments:

  1. Great idea. How long is the corn alright in the freezer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure. We used the last of it at Christmas and it was fine. I think it would be good for at least 6 months in a deep freeze.

    ReplyDelete