Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Baking: Shortbread Cookies

So last week I got another item of Christmas baking completed.  I made a large batch of shortbread cookies.  I think shortbread is one of my most favourite Christmas cookies.  This a cookie that we only ever make at Christmas time and I love the way it just melts in your mouth.  This is the recipe that my mother made.  It was also found on the back of a box of cornstarch for many years.  Some people fancy them up by adding candied cherries, sprinkles or other things but for me I just prefer them plain.

Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup flour
3/4 cup butter, softened (not melted)

Sift dry ingredients together then add butter.  With large wooden spoon work butter in thoroughly.  Work with hands until soft, smooth dough forms.  Shape into 1 inch balls.  Place 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet, flatten with lightly floured fork.  Bake in 300*F oven for 15-20 min. or until edges are lightly browned.  Store in tightly covered container.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment