Wow, once again it has been a long time since I posted. I can't believe that spring and summer have flown by and here it is September and the kids are back in school. We have been having a nice fall so far here. Even though the days are getting shorter they have been beautiful. We are not quite done harvesting yet but are getting close.
Anyways I just thought a would post a few pictures to share some of what's been going on the last while. This might get a little long so feel free to just skim through quickly.
- This spring when getting ready for seeding Hubby got the tractor stuck good as you can see. It took a back hoe and another 4 wheel drive tractor to get him out.
- Also this spring we finished most of the basement renovations and the girls got to move into their new rooms. They were excited to have their own rooms. We still have to put the shower in the bathroom and we plan to install a laundry sink and some cupboards but the main rooms are done and all the flooring is in.
Star in her new room
Sky in her new room.
- This spring Sky started playing softball. It kept us quite busy with practices and then having to travel for games. It was fun for me to watch her play and I helped to coach a bit as I used to play quite a lot of softball.
- Luckily Star took her babysitting course this spring so she was able to help with watching the kids during ball season. I can't believe I have a child who is old enough to babysit. Unfortunately Hubby and I haven't taken advantage yet for a date night. Maybe after harvest?
- Star won the Citizenship Award this year at school. Yes, I am a proud Mommy.
Star with her award
- We started the summer holidays by having a family camp out in the yard for the July long weekend (complete with fireworks). It was a lot of fun and we didn't even have to leave the yard. I am thinking that this should become an annual tradition.
- Then the older girls were off to Girl Guide camp for a week. They had a lot of fun and are already planning to return next year.
- I always get excited for summer, thinking we will have lot's of times for crafts and what not, but it always ends being busy. Good, but busy. We did do this one craft at the start of summer; hot rocks. You heat rocks in the oven or in a fire (or if it is hot enough in the sun). Then you color them with wax crayons. The wax melts as you color and you can make cool designs. We obviously have different brands of crayons as they melted at different rates but it made for a cool experiment.
- I also managed to get just a bit of sewing done. I made Sky a bonnet to match the dress she made last year. Lil also got a matching dress and bonnet.
Sky modeling her bonnet and dress.
Lil with her matching dress and bonnet. She did not want me to take her picture.
- For our summer camping trip we met up with some family at Clear Lake in Riding Mountain National Park. I shared a few pictures here.
- This summer the Art Gallery in our community offered some free summer art classes. We weren't able to attend all of them but the girls (especially Star) really enjoyed the ones we did make it too. I think their favorite class was the one where they got to decorate cakes.
Sky with her decorated cake.
Star with her decorated cake and cupcakes.
- We also took another short camping trip this year at Buffalo Pound Provincial Park. It was a lot of fun and we got to spend more time with family. My mom and dad we able to come out every day and spend it with us. The weather wasn't super warm for swimming in the lake. But we still did some swimming and had fun playing in the sand on the beach. The park was celebrating its 50th year when were there and had some extra activities going on. We got to go canoeing, there was a sand castle building contest (which we won, yeah), and other games.
working on the sand castle
Sky winning the potato sack race
LK and LT on a rock
LT climbing trees
- We were home for a week and then the girls were off to camp again for a week (it was a Catholic camp this time).
- This summer the 3 oldest kids took swimming lessons. It was LK's first time without me going in the water and he did very well.
LK at swimming lessons
- Now the girls are back in school and settling in well. Harvest is nearly done and the cold weather will be here soon. Hubby did get the combine stuck this year which was a first for him. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of it.
Well if you stuck with me for that long thank you. That was just a glimpse of what we have been up to. Hopefully I will post a bit more regularly now that it is fall but I make no promises.